2 Tbsp. garlic cloves, sliced
2 Tbsp. shallots, sliced
¼ cup of Santa Monica Seafood Ultimate Stock
8 ¼ cup of water
½ loaf of ciabatta bread
1lb Saltspring Island Mussels
1 cup of dry white wine
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp parsley or basil, freshly chopped
1) In a bowl halfway filled with 8 cups of cold water, add 2 cups of ice, 2 Tbsp. of salt and stir.
2) Soak Mussels in the ice bath for 10 minutes to purge any impurities. During this time, remove all beards if necessary.
3) In a small pot, heat 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil on medium and add the sliced garlic and shallots and then season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir until garlic and shallots lightly sweat and then add Mussels. Stir for about 1 minute.
4) Add wine and cover until boiling.
5) Add SMS Ultimate Stock and ¼ cup of water to the pot. Cover and boil for an additional 5 minutes.
6) Inspect Mussels making sure to discard any unopened ones.
7) Plate mussels in a bowl and garnish with freshly chopped herbs of your choice, a slice of ciabatta bread and finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. (Try adding chorizo or finishing it with chili oil rather than olive oil for a more flavorful dish!)